A Peer Group for Leaders in Not-For-Profit Organizations
Do you lead a not-for-profit organization?
During 2011, I began forming peer groups for CEOs. Among the 100+ members across the first groups, several not-for-profit CEOs enjoyed — and substantially contributed to — the experience and peer influence.
And yet, they said, “We are different. Our organizations are truly mission oriented. We are building communal assets, rather than personal ownership equity. And we are assessed by a board…
“We might be founders and builders, but we are stewards rather than owners.”
The most recent to tell me this: Beth Paul, college president. Beth said, “Let’s assemble a new peer group, one for leaders with executive authority in not-for-profit organizations.“
We launched the group in January 2018. With 24 members during the first month, we split the group into two sub-groups with overlapping meetings and relationships.
Introducing Super Group
- Monthly, usually on Tuesdays
- One monthly meeting is our annual overnight retreat (in Yellow Springs, Ohio) — when gatherings resume
- Invitations to Vistage speakers visiting other Birdhouse groups (“Birdhouse” is the community of Vistage members in my practice.) See the current offerings at Birdfeeders.info.
- Monthly meetings of Triads (groups of three members) for accountability and small-group issue processing.
- Members: CEOs and Executive Directors of central Ohio not-for-profit organizations — no competitors, no conflicts.
- Dues, paid in advance:
- $4,772 annually
- or $2,423 semi-annually
- or $410 monthly (12 months per year)
- and, for qualifying organizations, The Columbus Foundation offers a subsidy toward membership.
- note: historically, Vistage has annually raised dues approximately 3% each October.
- Ann Bischoff, Chief Executive Officer, Star House
- Tasha Booker, Executive Director, City Year Columbus
- Jennifer Ciccarelli, Head of School, Columbus School for Girls
- Michael Corey, Executive Director, Human Service Center
- Melanie Corn, President, Columbus College of Art & Design
- Toni Cunningham, Managing Director, Per Scholas
- Mike Davis, President, Junior Achievement of Central Ohio
- James Dye, President & CEO, Columbus Speech & Hearing Center
- Christy Farnbauch, Executive Director, NAWBO Columbus
- Rachel Finney, Executive Director, Columbus Humane
- Chuck Gibson, Director/CEO, Worthington Libraries
- Gina Ginn, Chief Executive Officer, Columbus Early Learning Centers
- Amy Gordon, Executive Director, Communities In Schools
- Angel Harris, Chief Advancement Officer, United Way of Greater Houston
- Eric Karolak, President, Action for Children
- Shannon Lee, Executive Director, Leadership Columbus
- Nikki McCarthy, Founder & Executive Director, Sam’s Fans
- Mark Mecum, CEO, Ohio Children’s Alliance
- Michelle Missler, Vice President, American Association of Service Coordinators
- Karen Mozenter, Chief Executive Officer, Jewish Family Services
- Erin Nealy, Co-Founder/Executive Director, Brideway Academy
- Beth Paul, President, Nazareth College
- Sonya Thesing, Executive Director, Huckleberry House
- Deborah Aubert Thomas, President & CEO, Philanthropy Ohio
- Rebecca Wiggins, Executive Director, Association for Financial Counseling & Planning Education® (AFCPE®)
- Ginger Young, Chief Executive Officer, The Childhood League Center
- Ally Zahler, Executive Director, Reeb Avenue Center
With so many members, we operate as two groups — with overlapping events and relationships: a super group!
A kind-hearted, but candid statement of intention
Qualitatively, we will admit people who are firing on all cylinders:
- are smart, ambitious, and successful
- are trusting and trustworthy
- are earnest, but don’t take themselves too seriously
- are kind-hearted (no jerks)
- play the big game — are willing to bring their biggest challenges
- can engage — show up on time, focus (no cell phones), lean in
- will confront their peers kindly
- are experienced enough to know they need to change — and energetic enough to do it.
This group is for “A” Players. If you are an “A” Player, here is a message for you.